I used to hate brussels sprouts, but then I tried them cooked the right way. Never trust a brussels sprout previously frozen or served to you boiled. Thank goodness I gave them another chance because now I’m obsessed. I love when they are super crispy. I have no self-control with these delicious vegetables. Today, I’m sharing one of my favorite ways to eat brussels sprouts! This recipe is super simple to make, and you get that fried taste without using any fryers.
You can get away without adding any sauce to these brussels sprouts because the crispiness is tasty on its own! And if you’re on a plant-based diet, you can substitute the honey for maple syrup. If you’re gluten-free, make sure to use a gluten-free soy sauce.
Crispy Smashed Brussels Sprouts with a Honey Soy Sauce
- 4 Cups Brussels Sprouts
- 3 Tbsps Avocado Oil
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Tbsps Soy Sauce gluten-free soy sauce if making this recipe gluten-free
- 1 Tbsp Honey or maple syrup to keep recipe plant-based
- Heat oven to 425-degrees
- Add the brussels sprouts to a pot of boiling water, and boil until they are fork-tender.
- Transfer the cooked brussels sprouts to a large mixing bowl. Coat them with avocado oil, garlic, powder, onion powder, black pepper, and red pepper flakes.
- Use the bottom of a cup or your hands to smash the brussels sprouts. If you're having trouble smashing the brussels sprouts, try cutting them in half first.Add the smashed brussels sprouts to a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (flipping them halfway is optional)
- Mix the soy sauce and honey. Drizzle the sauce over the baked brussels sprouts.
And did I eat that entire bowl by myself? You bet I did.
Questions for you!
- What’s your favorite way to eat brussels sprouts?
- Did you like brussels sprouts the first time you tried them?